Monday, February 4, 2008

Practice Run

I didn't really want to go on this practice run, but we didn't have much of a choice. Sunday evening, I started having braxton-hicks contractions that were every 2-3 minutes apart and lasting 30 seconds. After talking with my midwife, she said to come to Labor and Delivery at the hospital. Sounds scary, right? Well it was. On the way to the hospital the contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart. After checking in and getting settled in a triage room, I wasn't feeling them anymore. I was put on a fetal heart monitor and a monitor to track the contractions. A few minutes later, I began to have contractions again, but this time they were beginning to hurt a little. They were small contractions, but definitely different than the ones I was experiencing at home.

My midwife had a doctor come in and the doctor decided to do an ultrasound of my cervix to get a clear idea of how far I was dilated. I was one centimeter dilated, which didn't surprise me because when I was 32 weeks with Laura Anne, I was dilated to one centimeter. The contractions slowed down and then stopped eventually. Based on the ultrasound the doctor was certain I wasn't in pre-term labor. She just said too much activity plus mild dehydration don't go well together. So now I have to drink 100 ounces of water a day (could anything be more boring than that?!), and I just have to take it easy. Thankfully, no bed rest! The good news is that Caleb is head down. Hopefully he'll stay that way. We're just thankful that he's still chilling out in my belly for now.

No comments: